Monday, August 2, 2010

Mad Men Star the Curvy Christina Hendricks: I felt 'invisible' before Mad Men


I remember a few years back, I was sitting in the doctor’s office waiting for my turn. To pass the time I picked up a copy of Vogue Magazine and I was shocked at what I saw.

I don’t read Vogue.

So, I’m not hip to high fashion and I’m not trying to get an education either. What shocked me were the women in the ads. They were literally skeletons with skin.

Yuck!

However, it seems lately that the arbiters of fashion and beauty are discovering the attractiveness of women larger than size 0.

It’s about time!

And could we lose the “plus” size label? These “women” larger than a negative number are more reflective of what the common women you’ll find at the mall or the supermarket.

They’re just as lovely as the stick figures in Vogue.

Christina Hendricks is one of those women.


UK Telegraph

Christina Hendricks, the curvaceous star of Mad Men, has told how she felt ostracised in Hollywood before winning her part in the hit US drama.

The size 14 actress, who plays the sassy secretary Joan Harris, was
last month praised physical role model by the equalities minister Lynne Featherstone.

But Hendricks said she was made to feel “invisible” when she first moved to Los Angeles where the show is filmed.

The 35-year-old, who swept to instant fame in her role as the flame-haired secretary in the drama, which is shown on BBC Four, also disclosed that she does not feel she fully belongs in showbusiness.
She said: “I’ve never quite felt like I fitted in. It’s as if I was invisible before Mad Men. Now people come up and say: ‘God, I love the show, I’m so-and-so,’ and I’m like, ‘I know, I had dinner with you three years ago’.”


But refused to lose weight despite being repeatedly told that she was too big to win starring roles.



Hendricks, who was voted the “Sexiest Woman Alive” by female readers of Esquire magazine in May, added that she does not receive much male attention in Los Angeles.
“In LA you’re always in your car and you’re separated from people. I don’t get hit on much in LA,” she said in an interview with GQ magazine.


The actress has previously spoken out about the difficulties she has encountered as a larger woman in Hollywood.

She said earlier this year in an interview with Glamour magazine: “It is difficult come awards season, and I need to find a gown to walk down the red carpet in, and there are only size zeros and size twos available.
“Then it becomes downright annoying because all these designers are saying, "We love Mad Men, we love Christina, but we won’t make her a dress."'

Full story



Don't Leave Without Clicking Other Great Stories in The Last Tradition. Tell two friends about this blog

No comments:

Post a Comment