Sunday, April 3, 2011

Lonesome Dove, possibly the greatest western of all time


I remember when Lonesome Dove first aired on CBS in 1989. It was a Sunday night and nothing else was on, so I left it on channel 2, here in New York.

The first 35 minutes or so was very slow. So I watched it and read a baseball mag a the same time, not thinking much of the mini series thus far.

Then came the scene when Gus and Widrow stampeded a herd of cows across the border from Mexico and stopped reading when I heard the most rousing Western theme I had ever listened to in my life! I’m talking better than The Magnificent 7 or Big Country.

I said, “Whoa! What the hell is this?”

It was the music that grabbed my attention and from that point forward, the action was non-stop and I was hooked, moth open, totally blown away at what I was watching.

Robert Duvall gave an unbelievable performance and cemented his place as the greatest Western hero second only to John Wayne.

Well worth picking up, if you haven’t already!


Listen to the music in the background






No comments:

Post a Comment